Saturday, April 16, 2011

Starting a Butterfly Garden

California Fuchsia and Silver Carpet
I started our butterfly garden. Since we rent and the house came with landscaping, I needed to put everything in containers. When Rowshan and I first decided to plant a butterfly garden we figured we’d just stick some milkweed, fennel, and passion vines in a pot and we’d have it. However, a little research convinced me I should go native and plant butterfly plants native to this region. Milkweed is fine because there are several native species. I quickly eliminated fennel. It is highly invasive and difficult to get rid of. Passionvine, to my disappointment, is also non-native. However, at least it isn’t invasive. In our last rental house we had a fabulous passionvine full of caterpillars and butterflies. We may still get one, but first I want to get the natives growing.

White Striped Sphinx Moth
After talking with the woman at Las Pilitas. I decided to start 2 containers: one with a Ghostly Red California fuchsia (Zauschneria californica) and Silver Carpet (also known as a California Aster) (Lessingia fliagenfolia) and the other with a Narrow Leaf Milkweed (Asclepias fascicularis) and Sierra Columbine (Aquilegia pubescens). To be honest, the columbine isn’t actually a butterfly plant but the woman at the nursery recommended it since it attracts hummingbirds and could go with the milkweed. The fuchsia is more of a hummingbird attractant than one for butterflies. However, California Dogface butterflies like the nectar so maybe some will visit. Also, it is a food plant for sphinx moths. She didn’t mention that when she sold it to me and I’m a little wary. About a month ago we saw a really cool white striped sphinx moth. It was very beautiful and striking. I’ve also seen photos of sphinx moths hovering like hummingbirds in front of flowers. The problem is that the caterpillar of the sphinx moth is the dreaded tomato hornworm. I’m trying to grow tomatoes. Oops! Well, on the bright side, I guess I can always move the hornworms to the fuchsia. 

Golden Aphids on the milkweed
The milkweed is a nectar plant for monarchs, acmon blue butterflies and west coast ladies. It is also a larval plant for monarchs and acmon blues. The sign for the milkweed advertised: “Comes with golden aphids.” The woman explained that they were part of the plant ecosystem and I shouldn’t remove them or the plant could suffer. Once I got home I did some research and found stories of the aphids killing people’s milkweed. The milkweed attracts this kind of aphid. People said it was impossible to get rid of but necessary to keep under control. So, I just went out and killed all the aphids. 

Narrow Leaf Milkweed and Sierra Columbine
After getting the plants I had to find the containers. I settled on large terra cotta planters for $10-11. They would have been difficult for R to make since they are so big. At home I put the partial shade planter next to a fence (milkweed and columbine) and the sun planter next to the lawn (silver carpet and fuchsia). I planted the plants and watered them. Now I just have to see if they will survive. 

Useful Links

    No comments:

    Post a Comment